Friday 11 March 2016

RI Plus - Here's What I Would Have Bought.

When River Island announced that they would be branching out into a plus size range, there was a collective swelling of anticipation within the plus community. A quick look at their standard range shows that it ends at a size 18, so I don't think I was alone in being excited by the idea of an extended, inclusive range. Could this be a high street brand who would highlight the need for clothing up to at least a size 32? Were we about to get some of the gorgeous clothes that I had dreamed of, but never been able to buy, from River Island? Looking at the River Island standard range, I see sassy clothes worn. I see shapes, colours, denims, slouchy clothes, fitted clothes. An extension of this range into a size that would actually fit me? I was pretty psyched.


And then they dropped the bombshell. 
"Our exciting new plus size range - in sizes 18 - 24!"

I'm sorry, what? What went from an exciting step towards inclusion changed rapidly into a token gesture, throwing three extra sizes out knowing that the plus size community would give them a bunch of publicity for free. So now I'm conflicted. Of course it's important to highlight the need for plus size ranges in every company, but when it ends at a size 24, it sort of doesn't feel like their heart was really in it. The clothes are... Not great. Mostly shapeless, people have said the t-shirts look too short for plus size bodies and the prints don't show as wide a variety as there is in the straight size range. Nevertheless, I had a look through the entire range and there were a few pieces I found my heart panging for. And isn't that the point? I've been excluded from their straight size range and it makes me sad when I see things they don't feel I am worthy of fitting in to. And then they bring out plus size clothing, they show me a couple of pieces I fall for and yet again I am left feeling sad because their clothes are only worthy of people whose bodies are smaller than mine.

BRANDS: there is no reason whatsoever not to stock to a size 32. There is no reason to say "it's only for now" "it's only while we test the waters" "we are seeing how smaller sizes go down first" -  NO! Smaller, independent brands have done it. You could afford to take a hit to take care of your customers. And the funny thing is, you don't realise just how much custom you're actually missing out on by excluding us. Here's what I would have bought.




Split sleeve t-shirt
£20.00


Stripe asymmetric hem t-shirt*
£18.00


Black wet look high waisted leggings*
£22.00


Check shirt dress
£40.00


Lori skinny jeans
£35.00


Slouchy knitted jumper*
£36.00

GRAND TOTAL: £171.00

Yep, that's right. By not including me in your sizing, you lost out on £171.00. And that's just one customer. I also put stars next to the items I was really drawn to, so would be likely to purchase more than one. I would also have listed more skinny jeans but I'm unsure how much stretch your jeans have in them. Do you make clothes to fit fat bodies, or do you just add a bit more material to your straight size designs? These are questions which the plus size community will answer in time, but not by the larger of us. To give you an indication, #Team26Plus currently has 159 members. Can you imagine if the £171 I have just 'spent' was given to you by all 159 members, every season? 

You just cost yourselves over £100,000. Congrats. 
You need to become more inclusive.

For another voice from the plus community, have a look at Debz' post!

5 comments:

  1. So much this. It's 3 bloody more sizes than they already did, hardly an actual range! I think it's on the pricey side, but there is some lovely stuff I would have bought too

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESS!!! LOVE THIS POST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post!!!!

    Cxx
    CurvyGirlThin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Realistically all shops would have to be big department stores in order to hold this amount of clothing, and the majority of customers would not range over a size 24 so it is understandable why they do not have sizes over this. In addition surely that's encouraging poor health? I understand that if you are of a bigger size that you need to have clothes but that's what plus size shops are for is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...