Wednesday 10 June 2015

Mental Health: Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place

This post is going to be in stark contrast to my last one, to the point that I'm really going back and forth about whether or not I should actually post it. I don't want to be a liar and I don't want to offend anybody. I don't want to trigger anybody. I don't want to open myself up for hatred from a) the body positive community and b) trolls. But I guess I'm human and I am allowed to feel things, and maybe this will represent the undulating nature of mental health. Just because something is okay on Monday, doesn't mean you won't hate it on Tuesday.

Here is something that is not a secret: I am fat. And I worked hard to reach a place in my life where I didn't feel an internal flinch when I made that bold statement. At the doctor today, my nurse took my blood pressure. It was high. She asked if she could then weigh me. Just an FYI, I was there for a smear test, so my weight really had nothing to do with why I was there. Just routine dignity invasion. I asked if I really had to, she said I'm afraid so, yes. Then she looked at the scales and said "oh gosh, you really have put on a lot of weight, haven't you?" [referring to the last time I was weighed at my GP, two years ago, at my postpartum check-up] ... She really was only trying to be kind I suppose, and she whispered "Obviously you know you're...." and I replied "fat" and laughed because laughing is how to make things not sting, dontcha know. And she said "right, so lets deal with it. How can I help?"

And honestly I was stumped. Because here's the thing. I've worked for so long to convince myself that its good to be me, exactly as I am. In the past I've had a tetchy relationship with food. I used to sneak food to bed and eat it in the middle of the night. Food has always been a reward to me. And when I feel bad about myself, food is a comfort. Even to the point that I have hidden empty wrappers, or gone to a shop to replace something so nobody knows its gone, as an adult. When I'm really down I eat an embarrassing amount and sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it until its done and Jay gets home and says "did you eat an entire multipack of Twixes?" and I think "shit, yeah, I must have done". So when I have dieted, one of three things has happened.

Scenario A: I achieve goals when I diet. Reward? Food. Just a little bit in secret to say well done. Addiction back. Can't stop. Time to start over.

Scenario B: I lose no weight. I fall into a pit of self-loathing. Comfort? Food.

Scenario C: By the second day the feeling of restriction is too much. I literally feel no point in living anymore, as dramatic as that sounds. I hide and cry. Depression plummets. I have no alternative but to go back to life exactly how it was. I talk myself into eating my old diet because it's better to be fat and happy than thin and depressed, right?

And so I tried to break this cycle by jumping into the world of body positivity. Wonderful bloggers, vloggers, models, writers, who had such beautiful things to say about bodies that looked just like mine. These ladies are sassy and they aren't afraid to show it, so why shouldn't I be happy to look like me? I honestly felt this way almost unfalteringly for months (High street clothes shops make me feel like utter shit because I am confronted with a million things I'd wear and 0% of it would even fit me) and I was on a pretty high cloud. Heck, I even figured I'd start swimming a couple of times a week so that I could eat the same, look the same, but just feel a little bit fitter. I got to the happiest I have felt about my body in my adult life (which happens to also be my heaviest) and I was proud of myself for breaking the cycle and approaching the situation in a mature, rational and stable way.

But then the doctor happened. "Let's deal with it. How can I help? I can help with getting you in to exercise, I can refer to you to a dietitian" and I interrupted because I felt drained just hearing the conversation begin. "I go swimming actually, I've just been there now, that's why my hair is wet" "Well done, that's an excellent start. What else can we do?"

What did I want to say? "I am scared to go to a dietitian because I think I am going to feel overwhelmed, controlled, restricted and my depression is going to get out of hand again. I am worried I'll get into a cycle of hiding and binge-eating.  I am scared to feel judged. The thought of even embarking on this journey exhausts me. I feel like everything I say sounds corny, or like an excuse, and I'll never be taken seriously or understood. I don't feel mentally strong enough to deal with this right now."

What did I say? "Not sure really. I'm just... Swimming."

"Right. Well I leave that with you", she said with a smile. She didn't pressure me or make me feel guilty. We changed the subject, I left feeling fine. But the more I reflect on things the more I wonder what I am supposed to do. Mental health vs physical health, I suppose. Can I even achieve one without the other?

I'm screwed.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate so much to what you've written above. It's a constant back & forth with my weight & dieting. You made a positive move just by talking about it. I think for those who can be body positive it's great but for me I just feel in a constant battle with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mental health and weight are a hard duo to deal with. Everytime I seem to think I get into a good place mentally, I think I can deal with the challenge of throwing weight loss in too, but as I learnt it's not easy to juggle the two.

    A few months ago I got put on new tablets for my mental health. Of course the challenge of stopping one lot of tablets and starting a brand new one is hard, but then I got the added bonus of an increased appetite.
    Last month I went to my nurse and like you, in an unrelated appointment got thrown on the scales and blood pressure taken. My weight had shot up but thankfully my nurse is supportive and said that 'you've been here before but you can lose it again when the times right'
    After this I said to myself 'right I feel good mentally, let's do this' and I tried to keep it a secret from people as there seems to be an 'expectation' people set for you when you say your on a 'diet' or 'health kick'. People soon caught on what I was trying to do and it didn't help if I was having a bad day and wanted some chocolate to me told 'no you can't have that'. I was trying to change things slowly and eat what I wanted in moderation but I was more worried about people telling me what I could and couldn't eat. I would basically go home and binge eat as I was so upset and i knew others couldn't see me do it, so I wouldn't get judged. So the horrible chain of events led to my mental health getting worse and having to give up and eat what I wanted and tell people for the time being that I've got bigger priorities to deal with. My only fear with saying this is, am i using my mental health as a excuse not to lose weight? Surprisenly since I stopped my 'health kick' I seem to be eating less and not binge eating.

    I've never been able to have a positive body image of myself and I envy people who can do it. I just look in the mirror and see a whale looking back at me.

    I think weight loss is certainly something that has to be done when you are ready, not when other people say you have to. Well done to you for your honesty and trying to keep up a positive body image. Just remember that weight loss should be done when YOUR ready, not when anyone else says :)

    Claire Sab x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I definitely find it important to keep it a secret too - the second somebody else knows it becomes about guilt, and that just isn't helpful at all. Thanks Clarence xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...