Wednesday 6 May 2015

Wedding Wednesday: The Stress With The Dress

As a child, I couldn't picture myself in the long white gown that sounded crispy when I walked. I couldn't see the sparkling tiara or the curled up-do that every bride wore with pride. I couldn't see myself walking out of a church to be showered with confetti, and that actually made me really sad. Why couldn't I be like my friends?

As you grow you realise the benefit of being unique. And, actually, quite often it is a lot cheaper not to follow the tide. I set myself a budget of £120 for my wedding dress, mostly because I fell in love with a little number on eBay the first day I started looking. The dress surprised everybody because it was so girly and quirky and completely out of the norm, but actually when I showed it to Jay (because, as you're about to find out, I didn't go for it in the end!) he wasn't surprised it all and said it suited my personality perfectly.

I do still miss this dress and wish I could 
have banked on it looking exactly like this as I'd have loved it.


Over time I started to see more and more horror stories about dresses from China. People were laughing at me and Googling articles about awful dresses from China when I'd tell them where my dress was from. And, actually, what was worse was when people simply asked me what my plan B was when I told them about my dress. Is it normal to respond to a beaming bride with 'what is your plan B?' when she talks about her dress?

At University one day I had one hour between lectures and in that hour I had a complete meltdown about my choice. I obsessively looked for a replacement in my price range that didn't come from China. I looked for small-time local dressmakers. I found a vintage-style dress that was made right here in Milton Keynes for only £30 and I felt really good about it, but when it arrived it was more brown than it had looked in the picture, the stitching along the hem wasn't great and it needed to be taken up about 5 inches. It just didn't *feel* like my wedding dress. Again I started to obsess about it and pored over page after page of alternative dresses. In the end I ended up showing Jay the dress, explaining that it just didn't feel right and I needed to get yet another one. He actually really liked it and said, since it was only £30, I should just keep it for special occasions. But I continued on my search.


My second rejected wedding dress. I was going to wear this
with a hot pink layered petticoat underneath.

Finally, I found her. Yes, she has a name, but I can't say it incase my fiance comes across it! £30 over budget. British dressmaker. Custom sizing, including length. Actually more traditional than I ever thought I'd go for, but when I look back on those childhood visions, that image I was embarrassed to admit because it didn't have a train flowing behind me, it is actually exactly what I always saw myself wearing. It is due to arrive around the 3rd of July (just over a month before the wedding, so time for any slight alterations) and I am so excited for it to get here.

Before wedding dress shopping I thought I was quite easy-going. I didn't 'get' why people got so angry about their dresses on Don't Tell the Bride because, hey, it's just one dress and it's just one day. But actually it turns out I really did know exactly what I wanted (who knew!) and I really wasn't willing to settle for anything less. Obviously I can't show a picture of what I went for!

COME ON, JULY 3RD!

4 comments:

  1. The first dress looks amazing! I know that I wouldn't be a very girly person, but when it comes to wedding dresses I'd be all over it haha x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, part of me wants to order it just to see if I made the right decision but if it looks perfect in real life I'd be devastated!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, super excited! Less than 3 months til the big day now, eeeek!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...