Wednesday 16 December 2015

Six Money Traps I Keep Falling In To

I considered writing a Christmas budget post, but I think there are so many of those already that I decided to take things in another direction.

Money is definitely tied to mental health for me. No money = STRESS for everybody so that isn't a shocker, but with me, lots of money = buy ALL THE THINGS! with no regard for the total that might be left in the bank balance. I used to be really on track with my spending, monitoring every penny, spreadsheets all over the place. I even walked around Tesco with a calculator! Now, though, my finances aren't as tight so I allow myself to be a bit more free, probably as a reward for how difficult it was when I WAS forced to monitor it all so accurately. Unfortunately, this has got me into trouble in the past, and there is nothing worse than falling into these traps at Christmas.

1. PayPal delayed payments. Now, this feature is my BFF and my very worst enemy. The premise is that you can buy something now, PayPal will pay for it and they will take the money 14 days later so that you can receive your product and check you are happy with it before you part ways with your cash. It's a great idea on the face of it, and when it's a few days before pay-day and I'm gagging for a Dominos, I definitely abuse it a tad too. However, I often fall into the trap of not realising the 'pay after delivery' option has been selected. A week later, I think the payment has been taken and I go and spend money I think is mine, but it really isn't. And then PayPal lets me know they're debiting my account and I start freaking out and selling my stuff straight away to make up for it.

2. Shoddy deals at supermarkets. James actually takes photos of a lot of these because we come across them so often, but basically not every deal you see in a supermarket is a good deal. For example, you can buy one pack of sausages for £1.50 or two packs for £3.00. You see the yellow sticker and grab that second pack because it MUST be a good deal if Tesco says it is. But, um, you just got tricked into buying 100% extra of the exact same product, with a 0% saving. What's worse is when it is £1.40 per pack or two for £3. You've actually just paid 20p extra for a second pack of sausages (or whatever) you didn't even go to the shops to buy.

3. Earning cashback. I've set myself a little target of not withdrawing a penny from my topcashback account until December 2016, so I will have a nice little sum to withdraw right in time for Christmas. I think it's brilliant that you can buy the things you were going to buy anyway, and make a bit of the money back for yourself. What isn't brilliant, though, is buying a little bit extra so that your cashback balance is boosted a little bit. For example, I don't need any new skincare right now, but if I get an email telling me that Clarins are doing 50% cashback for the next two days, I definitely want half of the cost of a tube of moisturiser in my cashback fund for Christmas next year. So I buy something I didn't want or need, because it is presented to me in a way that tells me I am physically earning money by spending. It's so silly, right?!

4. Not doing a weekly shop. In fact, I try to make it a fortnightly shop at least and then just buy the staples to top up. It is so easy when your life is busy to go into Tesco each night on the way home and grab something to cook. Or pop in to Tesco to buy something new for lunch because you're feeling disillusioned by the contents of your cupboards. I always tell myself I need to do 'the big shop' and plan our meals better so we make the most of our food (and don't bin it! I want a chest freezer because I need frozen EVERYTHING so it doesn't go off before I get to it!) but I guess I just come up with excuses not to - it's easier, it's quicker, you don't have to carry a tonne of bags up to the second floor when it's bit by bit... But they're just that: excuses. And really I'm doing myself out of money.

5. Not returning clothes which I don't like, or which don't fit me. If I buy something and it's too small I put it to one side and think "I'll return that". And then a packaging slip gets lost. Or I think about how long it'll take to get a refund. And then I worry that the item will get lost in the post. And then the deadline to return it has been and gone. So I hang the too-small clothing in my wardrobe and sell it a few months later for about a tenth of what I paid for it. I sometimes wonder if shops make it intentionally difficult to return things so that they can keep your money, but other people seem to manage it so maybe it's only difficult to me.

6. Not shopping for celebrations with a list. I spread the cost of birthdays and Christmases by buying throughout the year, which is really great because it means I never have a big birthday cost (especially as both kids are in April) or a big Christmas cost all at once. But what it does mean is that I buy lots and lots of little things. Great from the kids' point of view because they have a ridiculous amount of [small] presents to open, but actually there hasn't been a birthday or Christmas since Michael was born that we didn't find presents we'd forgotten about stashed somewhere AFTER the big day. In 2016 I need to plan exactly what I want to buy and find the best deals, rather than picking up everything I see on offer each time I visit a shop/go on eBay.

Are you rubbish with money too? If not - help a sister out with some tips!

1 comment:

  1. I am bloody awful with money but then I kind of have none! Not taking money from your topcashback for so long is a good idea though even if you did have that extra splurge. I didn't even know about the paypal thing.

    I think my worst habit is just popping to the local shop for things we barely need or end up paying extra for. That needs to be cut down a lot. Here is to saving money in 2016 we will obviously be rich xx

    Miss Kitty Kaos - Adventures Of A Riot Grrrl

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...